Thursday, July 18, 2019

When are you going to work on that thing?

Jr. North asks, "Dad, when are you going to work on that thing?"

Now I guess.

You gotta make hay while the sun shines. I picked up a box full of parts for next to nothing on Facebook Marketplace, a first for me. There's enough in there for two unbroken sets of XL250/ 350 plastics. One is original condition the other will become rattle can black.

Gold.

The hooker header got a fresh coat of high-temp.

Fresh rubber.

Done: 
* cleaned and lube the chain
* freed up the stuck clutch
* rebuilt the carb

To do:
* Refresh the forks.
* Adjust everything.
* add fuel and start kicking.
* Paint a set of plastics and the tank (dented and sealed up long ago.)
* install new races and bearings in the steering head
* maybe install an ignition. 
* maybe get one of those little stickers with a '20' on it

Not bad for 47.

What could go wrong?

- Ride North

2 comments:

  1. A great bike for teaching your kid how to ride (you don't have to ask how I know) I like the way Jr North thinks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's got spark, the carb is freshened up, the clutch is working again, and the chain has been cleaned up. But the fuel tap is leaking like a sieve. I thought I fixed that this weekend but stepping into the garage on Monday morning made me reevaluate the situation. Also, I should probably go through just about everything before I try to fire it up, just to make sure nothing will fall off. Good times!

    ReplyDelete