Sunday, March 28, 2021

What was old is new again

 I have so many good things to say about skateboarding. It's art, exercise, and community; and I missed it. It was probably 2004ish since I was last on a half pipe; nobody was listening to pop-punk anymore.

What started as "gym" during lockdown has turned into a full scale passion. Jr. North is driven to go, try new tricks, and hang out at the park (with his dad!). For the boy who was shy around strangers and doesn't like people watching him, he gets up in front of older kids and just rides without worrying about it. He's talking to kids, calling them out when they cut in. (a big part of ramp skating is taking turns) Confidence, exercise, passion, joy, and he's good at it too.

Early March, we shoveled off the half pipe and let the sun work its magic.

Dad gets his sea legs.


Shoveling, a Minnesota tradition.

Our now weekly pilgrimage to the 3rd Lair skatepark.

Carving the bowl, February.

Carving the bowl, March. (and dropping in!)
At one point, clearing the second tape mark was a big deal.
Last week, he cleared the third.

It's been incredible to watch him grow, to learn with him, and to cheer him on. He loves to work for it. He falls down and gets back up. We work on frustration, build confidence, manage risk, progress, and celebrate. It's a solid foundation and I can't believe how blessed I am to be able to share this with him. If I knew anything about baseball maybe we'd be doing that, but I don't. This is something I do know about and love.

Skateboarding is the thing we have to look forward to every week. To get out of the house and experience something new and exciting after being cooped up and isolated all winter. I can't over state the positive impact it has had on our physical and mental health.

- Ride North

Someday he'll realize that I'm not cool.

But, not today!

No comments:

Post a Comment