Friday, July 17, 2020

El Paso

A couple of rides out Wisconsin way. One on the Norge to meet up with my dad and our buddy Todd. Another on the XS500, just an after work jaunt to get out of the city for a bit.

It was good to see Todd and my dad again. Due to the lock-down, I haven't seen my dad since Christmas. They were riding out of Eau Claire so we met up in Elmwood at the Vets' memorial Park for some coffee and cinnamon rolls from the gas station. From there we rode over to O, where I proceeded to drag my foot. It was hanging lazily off the side of the peg and maybe I was a little too excited to be out with these guys again. It was a good reality check, reminding me to just enjoy the Trimbelle River valley and all its goings on.

We made it down to the Stockholm Pie Shop for lunch around 1:00. The hand pies looked amazing but I opted for a slice of peach raspberry ala mode and another coffee. We went our separate ways from there, I was needed back up in St Paul that afternoon. It was a short but satisfying ride, very good to be out.



The Eau Galle River in Elmwood
Flowing east and then south into the Chippewa River.

June 19th | 150 mi? | 9:00 - 2:00 PM 
Moto Guzzi Norge
Sun was shining. 

A dead end road outside of Ellsworth, WI.

One fine weekday evening I set out on the old XS with the goal of visiting the Great River Road visitors' center. After seeing it in one of Coop's posts I realized that I've driven by it a hundred times without stopping. It's a nice easy distance from St Paul, perfect for the 500.

From St Paul, I like to take Baiely Road out to Afton. Today I opted for Glen Road out of Newport, I've never been on it before. It's a nice little road and fits with the "adventures close to home" theme that is 2020. Glen eventually takes you over to 70th street which spits you out at Afton State Park. 

I've never been to this, the closest to me, state park. I had to take a quick lap as long as I was so close. It's beautiful with prairie bluffs and wooded valleys. I made a note of some of the trail maps and will be back with the family in tow.

My stop at the GRR visitors' center was well worth it. Amazing views and a fairly large building, which was closed. A fair number of people were using the park on a Thursday evening. Workouts were happening, a couple of motorcycles were in the lot, and some kids were running around. I look forward to going back when the building is open.

42 years young.

June 25th | 100 mi | 5:00 - 8:00 PM 
80f | partly cloudy 
1978 Yamaha XS500E

It was a beautiful evening to be out, I had a hard time turning around at the GRR visitors' center. I "had to" continue on down 35 to O and came back on 10. It was dusk and partly cloudy for the ride back west on 10 and Bailey Road. With sunglasses on, it was a divine setting with only the occasional deer.

- RideNorth

No comments:

Post a Comment